Jean Racine’s Esther

I’m thrilled to be cast as Mordecai in a production of Jean Racine’s Esther!

I felt like the Lord was calling me to produce and direct this play years ago, but it didn’t work out. To be performing in a production of this play in the very theatre where I was going to produce it is very special indeed! It’s confirmation that the Lord really wants this story told! I didn’t mentioned it to the director of this production, Christopher Monroe, until after he was doing a production of it a couple of years ago! The Lord put it on his heart separately. Christopher asked me to play Mordecai in that production, but the performance dates were during the Rocky Mountain Christian Filmmakers Camp, so I had to sadly pass. I’m so thrilled they’re doing the play again and that I can be a part of it!

I believe the Lord wants it told for such a time as this, with anti-Semitism on the rise again and Christians now in the largest persecuted people group.

Jean Racine was the Shakespeare of France, and this 1876 translation by Caroline Andrews maintains Racine’s rhyming couplets in iambic pentameter. It’s out of print, but Christopher tracked a copy down at Yale’s library.

I’ll post more later about how to get tickets, but for now I just want to urge you to save the dates. My performances will be Thursdays through Saturdays, May 14 through 30 at 7pm.

Performances will be at Theatre 315, 315 W 47th St, between 8th and 9th Avenues in Manhattan.

I’ll post more details here (www.RichDrama.com/Esther) as they arise, and I’ll send out a notice through www.RichDrama.com/UpdatesNYC.


See the rest of Olympic champion Eric Liddell's Chariots of Fire story in Beyond the Chariots. Watch it online and book a live performance.


No comments: