Miracle in Rwanda


Before our performance on Friday, an actor was checking out Pacific Theatre for upcoming performances of her one-woman play. When I heard that she was a solo performer I invited her to see Beyond the Chariots. I try to see as many one-man plays as I can, so I figured she'd want to do the same thing. Indeed, she stayed. When the introductory slides came up and she saw the title of the play she remembered that we'd shared the same theatre for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2007! Her show, Miracle in Rwanda, was sold out before her first performance, so Joyce and I were only able to see it because she added shows to her line-up. It was amazing! As you walk into the theatre space, there is a small square marked on the stage with white tape. As the play progresses, we discover that eight people hid in a bathroom the size of that square during the Rwandan genocide. Leslie's play has a strong message of forgiveness and reconciliation despite the worst of atrocities.

3 comments:

Leslie Lewis Sword said...

It was such a pleasure to meet you two! And your play has stayed with me--what a wonderful achievement. Now I know why friends at Edinburgh told me I had to see it, and I'm so appreciative of the divine timing that made it happen!
Blessings to you both.
Love
Leslie

Rich Swingle said...

Thanks so much, Leslie! Your play blew us away in Edinburgh. I hope it does well at Pacific Theatre!

Omar said...

A play on the Rwandan genocide, eh? I may have to make a run up to Vancouver to see that. When does it play?