Worship and the Arts

Dancing in the distance are Jane Wellford and Betsy Reeves. I also got to work with Susan Gingrasso and Kathryn Sparks (click here for their bios). All four taught various aspects of sacred dance, and then during the worship services they collaborated with each other and even let me in on some of the fun.

We had some of our classes perform in the Saturday night service at First Presbyterian Church of Birmingham, MI. I directed a readers theatre piece which had two separate classes and three of the dancers choreographed movement to go with it. We never were able to rehearse together in the space. One of the themes of the weekend was doing much in little time. I was quite proud of everyone, especially the youth that were involved.

Also during that service I got to lead an enacted prayer for someone who needs a job, and we prayed it for all who are in need of employment in these days. Again, it was the youth that stepped up to the plate.

No comments: